70s 80s - Dublin - Cinemas

Collection by Donal Allman • Last updated 11 days ago

47 
Pins
 • 
42 
Followers

Cinemas in Dublin in the late 70s early 80s

Old Dublin Cinemas – Local History Castleknock – History of Castleknock Dublin Street, Dublin City, Old Pictures, Old Photos, The Awful Truth, City Roller, Rocky Horror Picture, Grand Homes, Local History

The Carlton, O'Connell Street. The cinema opened on 16 April 1938 with the first film, The Awful Truth. It was built on the site of the first Carlton Cinema (1915–1936). There was seating for 1,500 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. In 1956, the cinema held the European premiere of Rock Around the Clock and it played to packed houses for three weeks. Currently vacant.

The Capitol Cinema being demolished This was a beautiful cinema such a shame it was pulled down. I saw Butch Cassidy here. Old Pictures, Old Photos, Molly Malone, Old Irish, Michael Collins, Ireland Homes, Dublin City, Emerald Isle, Dublin Ireland

Old B&W Photos Of Dublin - Part 1 - Page 76 - Dublinforum.net

Page 76- Old B&W Photos Of Dublin - Part 1 Arts & Culture

Old DublinTown. Ireland Pictures, Images Of Ireland, Old Pictures, Old Photos, Vintage Photos, City Roller, Ireland Homes, Rocky Horror Picture, Dublin City

404 Not Found

Corinthian Cinema, Eden Quay, 1971 The Corinthian Cinema opened in 1921. It was nicknamed the 'Ranch' because of the number of Westerns it showed. The Corinthian closed in July 1975 but in October of the same year it re-opened as a two screen cinema called the Odeon. In 1987 it changed its name yet again to the Screen. The cinema closed its doors for the final time in 1993.

Old Dublin Cinemas – Local History Castleknock – History of Castleknock Old Pictures, Old Photos, Preston Lancashire, City Roller, Pops Concert, Malta Island, Dublin City, Local History, Dublin Ireland

Nun queues for a ticket for the Green Cinema showing " Love Story" and "Madame X". Dublin 1971

 Architect: Frederick James Macaulay Opened in November 1936 and closed in A large auditorium designed to seat meant that it was usable as a car Ireland Pictures, Old Pictures, Old Photos, Vintage Photos, Auditorium Design, Art Deco Buildings, Dublin City, Dublin Ireland, Architecture

Rialto Cinema, South circular road. The 1600-seat cinema at Rialto opened in November 1936, with the Irish premiere of Everything is Rhythm as its first feature. It closed in late 1970 or early 1971 and was taken over by Windsor Motors as a car showroom,

The Grafton Cinema, Grafton Street, February 1969 The Grafton Cinema opened in It was one of three cinemas that showed Ireland's first all-Irish film 'Oidhche Seanchais' in The Grafton Cinema closed in December Dublin Street, Dublin City, Old Pictures, Old Photos, Grafton Street, Ireland Homes, Photo Engraving, Best Memories, Childhood Memories

404 Not Found

The Grafton Cinema, Grafton Street, February 1969 The Grafton Cinema opened in 1911. It was one of three cinemas that showed Ireland's first all-Irish film 'Oidhche Seanchais' in 1935. The Grafton Cinema closed in December 1973.

The Ambassador Cinema, O'Connell Street, April 1962 Old Pictures, Old Photos, Vintage Photos, Dublin City, Theatres, Dublin Ireland, Movie Theater, Back In The Day, 1960s

404 Not Found

The Ambassador Cinema, O'Connell Street, April 1962 Motion pictures were shown at the Rotunda in the early twentieth century and by 1915 the Rotunda Picture House was established. It was closed for rennovations in 1953 and eventually re-opened as The Ambassador Cinema in September 1954. The cinema had a stop/start existence with periodic closures until the curtain fell for the final time in 1999.